Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Yellowstone Adventure - Part 1

 Recently I took a week-long trip to the Western US.


The week began in Las Vegas, where I met the tour guide and loaded my suitcase into
the van. There were two other travelers with me, but we were told we would
pick up 8 more when we got to Salt Lake City. 
We loaded up and took off, headed for Bryce Canyon.
A traffic jam up the road made us take a detour through Zion National Park.
Fine by me, as I love Zion. I've spent some time in Zion a couple years ago, and hiked a trail,
but would like to go back to walk more of it.





We finally arrived in Bryce Canyon.
After going over the pick up plan, our guide turned us loose for a 
couple of hours to explore the park.

I decided to walk down the Navajo Loop beginning at Sunset Point, down into Wall Street, 
then walk the connector trail back up to the rim via the Queen's Garden Trail, 
ending at Sunrise Point. 


Hmm, I wonder why it's called Wall Street...


The Navajo Loop is a series of switchbacks that takes you down to Wall Street.
Not too bad going down, just need to watch your step and stay on the path.



Oh hai!



I don't want to climb back up those switchbacks...guess I'll 
take my chances with the rattlesnakes... and the other trail back up
to the rim.




Enjoyed some glorious views on the way back. 


All settled in to camp. First night of many in a tent.


We took one last view of the hoodoos the next morning before setting out for Salt Lake City.


Lunch spot at the foothills.




After checking in to our only hotel stay of the trip, we were again
turned to loose to check out Salt Lake City, Utah.
Off to Temple Square, I guess.


We're in Mormon country now. Most of the buildings were open to
look around inside and Mormon members were everywhere to say hello
and answer any questions that you did or did not have about their faith or history.


This man is tuning this huge organ.
Unfortunately, we didn't get there in time for a recital.


The Convention Center acts as a visitor center. We gradually ascended the floors until
reaching the rooftop, which had a garden and a nice view.


The temple is being remodeled.
So we could not visit inside of it, but were invited
to come back in 2025 to see it completed at their
planned open house.

In Part 2, we meet our new travel friends and continue driving north.

 













No comments:

Post a Comment