Saturday, January 9, 2021

2021 begins

 


It's taken me awhile to get started this new year.
It begins with my customary, annual cold.
Well, I think it's the usual cold. Can't be
too sure this year that it isn't the dreaded plague.

The first week of the new year is now behind us.
A slow start for me, with aforementioned illness.
Preparing students for regional honor band auditions, 
surviving through kuk sool classes despite feeling a bit
run-down, because, honestly, I just can't seem to truly stop.
Watching lunatic Trump supporters storm into the Capitol
building, apparently half-welcomed by shady security detail.
It's been a crazy week here in the US.

Feeling reflective, and looking ahead at the same time.
Reflecting on what I managed to accomplish last year.
Looking ahead to what I hope to accomplish this year.
What new thing can I learn to do?
What new place can I visit?
What new experiences can I experience.
I have several ideas.





It was hot Mexican cocoa with brandy.


My kayak arrived.
I opened it to make sure all the parts are there, but will
need to wait until spring to take it out on the lake.


January 8 is David Bowie's birthday.
January 9 is Dave Matthews' birthday.
January 10 of this year is the 5th anniversary to Bowie's death.
The Bowie people live streamed his Lazarus musical in celebration (commemoration?).
I snagged a very affordable ticket and finally go to see it.
There are some confusing aspects to the plot, but it all resolves in the end.
It's almost an Easter egg hunt to find all the references from
Bowie's long career hidden in different elements on stage and
in the dialogue. Newton finally frees himself and the fan in
the audience can have a cathartic release as well. 

Five years have gone by quickly, while seeming slow.

A lot has happened, and nothing has changed. 
I've finally met a whale and flown in a helicopter.
I've camped in the desert and watched the sunrise over
Monument Valley.
I've run along the ocean coastline and through the French Quarter.
I'm still in my small apartment with a never-ending stack of
books to read and list of movies to watch. I go to work and
plan trips and try to keep myself from watching too many
YouTube videos before bedtime.

It's time to wind the gears up again and push myself forward.
There's more to do.
And ever decreasing time to do it in.
Don't waste time.

xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment