Saturday, December 12, 2020

Desert Sharks


Time to fly back to Vegas.
Everyone back in the copter!



About 10,000 feet above the ground, moving at 160mph.
One last glimpse of the red thunderbird on the mountain.





Look how the layers are pushed up. Fault line.
One tectonic plate pushes under another tectonic plate.


Bowl of Fire


Is this a spillway?

Our pilot flew us over the Strip on the way back to the terminal.
We deplaned (de-coptered?), and all got back into the complimentary
vans that drove us back to the hotels on the Strip.


I had the driver drop me off on the Strip instead of my hotel.
We have returned earlier than I thought we would, and there's lots of
daylight left. Finally got a good look at the canals at the Venetian.
It's always so crowded every other time I've been nearby.


I get a to-go daiquiri drink from Fat Tuesdays and walk around, taking in the sights.
Like this dapper, be-masked Roman. (Greek? Is Caeser's Palace Greek or Roman themed?
Or is it a jumbled mix of both?)


Got some tasty Indian food.
Not shown are the samosas I gobbled down first after lots of walking.


At least they're having fun with the mask thing.


The next day, I checked out of my hotel, and, suitcase in hand, made my
way via bus to Mandelay Bay. I had pre-purchased a ticket to the
Shark Reef Bay Aquarium, and had just enough time to explore the
aquarium before catching another bus to the airport for the flight home.


It's a compact, well curated aquarium. This tank had lots of fish, rays, several
small hammerheads and blacktip reef sharks.
Front Seat Shark in the flesh!



There are other exhibits including pufferfish, pacus and catfish, piranhas, 
a komodo dragon, and a crocodile.


They're so graceful. Speed, power, agility.
Hypnotic to watch swimming around.


A cylinder full of jellies.
I love jellyfish.


The largest tank held the largest sharks. This tank also had at least one sea turtle.
Also living inside: a green sawfish shark, sandtiger sharks, and galapagos sharks.


Bowmouth Guitarfish? It liked to swim over the top of the tunnel we could walk
through under the water.



Do better. 
Take better care of the planet and the animals on it.


Beautiful colours for the sunset on the flight home.
Again, a row all to myself, a beverage to ward off dehydration, and home by 9pm.
I'm glad I made the trip. And look forward to my next one!
Whenever that may be...

No comments:

Post a Comment