Monday, November 30, 2020

Sharks Don't Have Fear

 


Pandemic-weary Shark ready for some new scenery, 
fearless, but still cautious.
Mask up, wash your fins, and keep your distance!
Let's go!

Okay, so I'm sure there are some judgments being thrown around
regarding travel at a time like this. But I wouldn't do it if I didn't
think I could do it safely, or at least travel while maintaining
health guidelines. Plus, my destination is a desert, not Disneyworld.


The airlines have sort of resumed in-flight snack and drink service.
Part of the motivation for this weekend was to take advantage of the
great air fares and hotel deals. Save some money in the logistic side to
be able to afford to scratch another line off of the ol bucket list: Ride in a helicopter.
But I'll get to that.


I'm a giant! This bottle of vodka is tiny in my giant hands!
HAhhahaha!
Okay, sorry. Had to get that out of my system.


I've not seen the desert, or been in the US Southwest, in late November. It is a bit colder, obviously.
Snow at the tops of mountains and the plants are wearing their winter coats.

After an uneventful (and not near full capacity) flight 
I am free of the airport. McCarran is also very quiet.
I get a bus ticket and get to my budget hotel.
Five years ago I came to Las Vegas for the first time, and also by myself.
Sort of an empowering, "I can do this and no one can stop me" sort of things.
I stayed at the Mardi Gras Hotel, because it's cheap and New Orleans themed.
Location-wise, it's okay. A short walk to the Strip, but near enough to important
things like bus lines and the Monorail.
The rooms and hotel are much like I remember, except this time around
my room has no hot water.
I debated arguing with the desk about this, but decided it wasn't worth
it, and seeing how everything else in the room was as it should be, I
just sucked it up and made it work. Had it been a hot sweaty summer day, 
I probably would put up more of a fight, but as it is, I still managed to clean
what needs cleaned and go on with my day. I promise I don't smell.


After getting settled in, I headed out to check out the Container Park in 
the Downtown/Fremont Street part of Vegas. It's a place I'd not been to yet,
and I thought it'd be a good place to snag some dinner and walk around.
A Deuce bus ride later, I am downtown, it's already dark, because it's 
winter now (and it seems weird that it does that while I'm on
mini-vacay even though it's perfectly reasonable and I'm not sure
why I expected the sun to have a different setting schedule just because
I decided to be in a different place for a few days), but 
businesses are open and, while the crowds aren't nearly what I usually
experience here, there are people out and about.

I'm happy to report that most people are obeying the face covering/mask
order from the Governor. With the exception of a few odd folks and some
homeless people, most people are respecting health guidelines.
It probably helps that most businesses won't allow you inside without a mask...

Anyway, I'm greeted at the Container Park by a giant praying mantis.
Pretty cool actually.
There's a mantis in my pantis!


Christmas decorations have popped up, and the almost cold desert night
makes me glad I packed a good jacket.
After exploring the place a bit I decide that some tacos sound good.
Pinches Tacos is a cute little Mexican place that serves some darn
good tacos. I got a trio of tacos, with rice, beans and chips. 
Two fish tacos and one veggie taco.
Covered with salsa and slaw, on corn tortillas.
Tasty and hot and hit the spot.
Wash it down with a cup of Dos Equis, and you're feeling pretty good.


It wasn't really that late yet, even though I was feeling the time change, and Iowa Me
was feeling like it was time to go back the hotel. Vacation Me, however, took over
and kept me out just a bit longer. When there is stuff to do and stuff to see, Vacation Me will always win. I rode the Deuce back down to the Strip where I picked up
a margarita to go and sipped on it while strolling around the Las Vegas Boulevard.
Stayed outside, mostly, just enjoying the nice weather (still chilly, but clear and pleasant)
and taking in the lights and the sights. People watching. 
Had to visit the Wynn lobby because they have the nicest decorations. 




Little ol church in the middle of Sin City.
I've always thought this was an interesting design. And since
my first visit years ago, I also tend to use it as a navigational landmark.



The fountain in front of the Wynn.

Almost through my margarita, I head for hotel-home. 
Tomorrow will be a big day.

No comments:

Post a Comment