Tuesday, April 30, 2024

King of the Road - Part 2

 


After packing the car and leaving the Pelican Spa room
key in the mail box because it was so early that the front desk wasn't even open yet, 
I turned the car towards the West. 
Destination: Gila National Forest


Looking at a map, one would think that the drive to the 
Gila Cliff Dwellings wouldn't take that long.
It took at least three hours, but only because once you
enter the mountains, it's slow going.
S-curves and hairpin turns. 
It's a lot of work just driving without flinging
yourself off a cliff.


It's lovely to look at though, so the price you pay, I guess.


I finally made it into the main expanse of the forest itself, then
drove another thirty minutes through more S-curves and hairpins to the visitor center.
Where I met this smushed fellow. Next to an equally empty and 
flattened fox.

I picked up a trail map and got some information from the park ranger
and got back into the car to drive another mile or so to the trailhead
to walk up to the cliff dwellings.


The trail is a loop trail, mostly very pleasant, with a sudden steep
portion just before you reach the 700 year old Mogollon dwellings.



Last little bit to the top.
Wear good shoes, bring water, and use sun protection.


My beloved silence, at last.
So quiet :'-)
There were a few other hikers on the trail, but we were so spaced out
that it never felt crowded. And, I was there early. 
I enjoyed the silence for a moment before turning back to the caves.



Stay on the path!






up the stairs!
Do no touch or lean, and stay out of the rooms.




Rustic, but cozy. Protected from sun and wind and rain.






Down the ladder!
The slats are a bit slippery, so be careful.




Taking my time on the walk back down.




No cell service, and no radio signal, mostly.
There were a few places where you could spin the dial and
find nothing but radio static.



After a quick spin through the gift shop to get some goodies for
people at home and some snacks, I made the long drive back to the interstate.
The winding hairpins and S curves from my drive in, now repeated on the
drive out.



A beautiful day for driving. though. I really did enjoy the scenery.


A quick stop at this historic bridge.


View from a portion of the old bridge, looking at the current highway/bridge.


The gorge below.
Look at how the rocks are splitting apart in big slabs.


circle of life.


The Mighty Mazdart (a Mazda CX-30)
It had 260 miles on it when I picked it up. 
A new record for me, with regards to rental cars.
I drove 840 miles with this car, over two and a half days.


Leaving the foothills, the lonely desert highway 
back to the I-25, for the long drive back to
Albuquerque.

I hadn't had much to eat all day.
The remaining bits of the salad from the night before, some coffee
that I'd brewed at the Pelican Spa and drank from my travel mug, 
a couple of fig bars I'd managed to think to grab from a gas station.
My water bottle I'd remembered to fill from the water cooler
at the spa reception room.
And that was about it.

Towns are far apart, and not much was open when I was
driving though. So, I plowed through the highway,
stopping to refill the rental car with gas (and myself with
a few more road snacks and drinks) before finally returning the
car to the rental station.

Then resurrected my Uber app to get a ride to my hotel,
got checked in, and walked to a nearby burger place to
finally get something to eat.


Front Seat Shark had a buddy for this trip.
I think I got this alien at a fair. Sweet Corn Fest years ago maybe.
The santa hat was added later as a Xmas decoration, and never came off.
Alien's head was cold, I guess.


My flight out wasn't until the afternoon, so I enjoyed
a relaxed morning of sleeping in, eating eggs and coffee from
the hotel continental breakfast spread (and the last of
my tasty PieTown pie), and watching crappy cable TV,
 before catching the hotel shuttle to the airport.


Even out this far East, the signs for The Thing could be found.
It was way too far away for this weekend, as I was trying to keep things
somewhat close to a center, so I didn't have to be in the car all day.

I should go back and see The Thing again. LOL


Visitors to the VLA were given eclipse glasses.
I kept my in my bag, and was delighted to find out that
I could see the eclipse from the airport windows, just before my
flight was boarded.
In this region, the eclipse coverage was 80%. It was neat.
Glad I got to see it, even if it wasn't totality.


You never know what you'll see in the Denver Airport.
Alien with a donut.


Good bye, my beloved desert.
I have more on the list to see, so I'll be back another day.
For another moment of cherished silence.
Oh my god, will everyone just shut up for a minute!
😂

👽💓🌵🌵🌵

No comments:

Post a Comment