Monday, April 29, 2024

King of the Road - part 1


Time for a road trip.
But make it New Mexico




I took a long weekend, flew into Albuquerque, rented a car, and took off into
my beloved desert. First destination: Truth or Consequences.

If you've been following me long enough, you will know that I've been
to T or C a couple of years ago, as part of a larger road trip.

Because I'm planning a quieter year than last year's African adventure,
I decided to give myself a mini-spa weekend/wandering the desert vacay.
(A full vacation is being planned for August)

When I'd visited T or C in 2022, I unintentionally booked myself into the
Pelican Spa, because their rooms are reasonably priced and it was
strategically located to accommodate the rest of my road trip plans.
When I arrived, I was told that the use of the hot mineral spring spas are
part of the deal when you stay at the hotel.
I really enjoyed the spas and the quietness of T or C, so I
decided it would be the perfect place to return to this year.


Vroom vroom



Same room I was booked into two years ago!
Not super luxe, but comfortable enough.



After settling in, I took my turn in the hot tub spas. More on that later.
Then had a restful night, falling asleep to the strong winds outside.
The winds eventually stopped by morning.


Early the next morning, I brewed some coffee for the road, threw some 
things into my backpack, and got into the rental car for 
my next destination.



The National Radio Astronomy Observatory. NRAO
The Very Large Array.
I've been wanting to  see this place for a very long time.
After a two hour drive from T or C, and climbing in altitude to about
7200 feet, I arrived at the observatory just before 9AM.





I made it!
Glad I brought an extra jacket. It was windy and cold.




I was there in time to join the astronomers on a guided walking tour of the
observatory.
Our phones set to airplane mode, and turned off when not
taking photos, so as to keep radio interference to a minimum, the small
group of visitors walked around the path, learning about the history and
the science being done at the VLA.
There are 27 radio telescopes, on tracks, giving them the capability
of being moved into different configurations, depending on what the
astronomers are hoping to observe in the universe.
The telescopes were set at a close configuration on my visit.



We were led to the base of one of the telescopes. 
You could hear the helium coolant whirring at the base, to
keep the electronics from overheating.


Brr. Worth it though.





After taking it all in, and feeling that I'd soaked up what I'd came for,
I walked back to the rental car (the Mighty Mazdart) and set off for
my next destination.



Set off westward for another 30-some minutes, higher into the mountains,
to Pie Town, New Mexico.


Stopped at the only place open for some lunch
and this delicious chocolate covered cherry pie.
My meal also came with a slice of pie, so I was well
treated to Pie Town pie.
It was scrumptious.
And warm from the oven.
I didn't finish the whole pie, so took the rest
with me to nibble on the rest of my trip.


The Continental Divide.
This was an interesting find.
Apparently, the Divide is a geological division between the
river systems of the North American continent.
It runs through this part of  New Mexico.


Beautiful scenery on the way back down the mountains and my return for 
another night at the Pelican Spa.


Magdalena, NM
Low season, apparently.
Nothing was really open.



Socorro


watermelon cider.
Tasty and refreshing.


At one of the few open restaurants, I got this
very tasty salmon Ceaser salad.
And wisely saved part of it for breakfast the next day.
Finding anything to eat en route my Sunday destination was 
weirdly almost impossible.


Anyway, I had another night at the spa, and so
another opportunity to relax in the mineral spring water.


Hot and toasty and relaxing.


I'd brought along some products to give myself some
further spa skin care in my room after the spa.





After another good sleep in the Pelican Spa, I checked out
early Sunday morning, loaded up the Mighty Mazdart, and turned the 
car westward into the Gila National Forest.
Which is in another mountain range.
And you'll learn about it in the next post.
😃🌵🐍



🍰

No comments:

Post a Comment