Saturday, May 22, 2021

IndyRawk Part 3


On a rainy Sunday morning we woke up in Cleveland, Ohio.


Is this someone? A footballer, apparently.

Anyway, we took an early morning walk/jog around Cleveland while waiting for the
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame to open.




Took a look around the stadium.


Found an enormous stamp.
It's FREEEEEEE!


Finally, it was time to go to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
For a hall of fame, it's just okay, but as a museum it's hella fun!


Given the time of awareness we live in, you are immediately hit with
some social justice, which suits me just fine. It's important to give 
credit where credit is due, and the history of rock and roll lies
heavy with the history of the Black American experience. 
Even Mick and Keith were wise enough to shine a light on their
Black American influences even before they reached the height of their fame.
The Rolling Stones band name comes from a Muddy Waters LP title, after all.
And so, as nothing lives in a vacuum, rock grew from a history tracing its roots back 
to blues and gospel music, that, after splintering off from jazz,
took hold with the electrified instruments of the early rockers.


Elvis, of course.
The King of Rock and Roll, who never really wrote any of his own stuff,
was adept at presenting to white audiences the inspired music of black musicians.
Elvis, like the Stones, was also wise enough to credit his success to the earlier work of 
Black Americans, but he was absolutely one of the best to amplify the music.
I admire Elvis for the performer he was, and his ability to hone into quality stuff.
That said, while he isn't really one of my favorite musicians, I won't ever dismiss him as
anything less than the great that he was.


Stevie Nicks' stage outfit.
One of the very few women inducted into the Hall of Fame.
Which is an absolute shame, because there are so many deserving women who
should have more of a presence in this building.
Which is only part of the reason I consider this "Hall of Fame" as just okay.


Iggy Pop's jacket!
I loved the punk portion of the exhibit. It speaks to my antagonistic streak.
We need more of that in-your-face rebellion.
No one should ever get too comfortable with where they sit in the hierarchy.


Prince's outfit from his half time performance at the Super Bowl.
It's one of the last videos you are presented with when you leave the tour at
Prince's Paisley Park. And it's an incredible performance to leave you with.


Lady Gaga's outfit.


In the lighted hallways of the Weeknd's Super Bowl set.
whoaaaa!


 Left Shark!
I liked Katy Perry's Super Bowl performance, for the record.


I will never apologize for loving the musicians that I do, so here
are some pictures from the David Bowie section of the exhibit.
One of his suits from the Serious Moonlight tour.


Ziggy Stardust outfit and guitar.
He was partial to the 12-string.


The stage set model of Hunger City that he used for Diamond Dogs.
I love everything about that tour.


Glass Spider outfit.
I watched the recorded concert. It's impressive in its scale and ambition.
And it was a time of his career when his voice sounded great and he had 
probably more ideas than he could process all at once, which is why the late 80s
seem like such a muddled Bowie era. Even though I don't rate the Glass Spider
as one of Bowie's best, I still don't think it should be outright dismissed. 
It was still Bowie, after all, and he wasn't one to throw himself behind anything less than what
he completely believed in.

Next to this outfit was an outfit from the Reality Tour, a simple jeans and T-shirt look.
I really like the Reality tour stuff. Latter Day Bowie is actually very good, musically.


Michael Jackson's jacket.
You didn't think you'd get through a hall of fame without seeing the King of Pop, did you?


Captain Fantastic! 😍


The Rolling Stones!
I still have tickets to one of their shows...stupid Rona.
Waiting patiently for it to be rescheduled.
In this same section was The Beatles' tribute.
I'm partial to the Stones, myself, but who am I to knock The Beatles?


Jimi Hendrix. Another juggernaut that made an impact on everything that came after him.
His guitar style influenced thousands of guitar players for years to come, which in turn
influenced thousands of other bands.

Kind of like how the Velvet Underground influenced thousands of bands
that heard them and went on to further bend and shape rock music into what it is now.
It's always changing, and that's a good thing.
We owe a lot to Lou Reed.


In 2019 many artists were up for nomination into the Rock Hall, including my
dear Dave Matthews Band (who, despite winning the fan vote was not accepted into the Hall)
but I did add to my vote T. Rex when I submitted my fan votes. Early glam rock and
contemporary of David Bowie, Marc Bolan's inclusion in this Hall is deserved.
The fan vote allowed up to five selections, and in addition to T. Rex and DMB I threw
my votes to Whitney Houston, Kraftwerk, and Pat Benatar. 
I didn't hold much hope for Kraftwerk, even though I think they're great, but I 
do believe that DMB was snubbed. And Pat Benatar. How is Pat Benatar not in the Hall of Fame?!
It's criminal, I tell ya.


Love me some Pink Floyd.
I'm listening to a lot of Pink Floyd lately. David Gilmour is brilliant.
I saw The Wall on video, of course, but I also got to see it in a theater, big-screen and surround sound,
at a showing at a local tiny brew and view many years ago.


The music and imagery are provocative and, honestly, not that subtle, but
rock music isn't usually subtle. Sometimes we need to be smacked over
the head with an army of goose-stepping hammers. Don't fall for the propaganda!


A reminder that we are in the Time of the Rona.
Don't be a Covidiot.


A rainy day on the shores of Lake Erie.


Yeah, we had to stop at a Tim Hortons. 🍁
At my insistence. I got some cold brew coffee and a sugar bomb of a donut.

Part 4 will show you images from the last day of our road trip.
Let's go to the (lake) beach!













 

No comments:

Post a Comment