Tuesday, July 4, 2023

A long holiday weekend

 


I left work at noon last Thursday, June 29.

It is now July 4.

How did I spend that time?
Let's take a look!


Well, we first drove through a pretty wicked thunderstorm,
headed for Milwaukee, Wisconson.
The land of beer and cheese.

And Summerfest!


Our DMB tickets included admission to Summerfest, which is why
the concert was there that night.
It was raining a little bit when we got into town, but it eventually cleared
off and it ended up being a nice night.


Summerfest smiley


We had some time to kill before the show started, so after finding the concert poster (natch)
we wandered around the grounds a bit.


The Fritos tent housed a 50s diner, with samples of
Fritos delicacies.


White bean hummus and Fritos


Rice pudding, Fritos bits, mango beads and chocolate.
Interesting, not horrible.


The fairgrounds had a sky glide, so we got our tickets and hopped on
for a ride to the other side of the festival grounds.


Beats walkin.



Got some noods.


When it was time to enter the stadium, we got in with time to spare, 
so I did some wandering. Found the tour buses!



my boi 😍


A solid set, with some surprises.
They opened with Lie in Our Graves, a song I really love.
Some tunes from the new album were scattered throughout, 
including one song I hadn't heard yet.
I'll need to track down the set list.



Outstanding musicianship, quality showmanship, they all 
play their own instruments, and no backtracks or autotune.


When the DMB show was over, I tried to get to the Generac
stage to catch part of Lord Huron's set, but I got there just as they
were playing the last chords. Oh well, I'll get them someday.


The next morning, we pulled ourselves together and got in the car
for a short drive to Mount Horeb, for some troll fun.



And some cheese, because when in Wisconsin, ya gotta.


Impossible Burgers are so easy to get now. 



Troll feet







Also made sure to stop to pick up some New Glarus beer!


Then a short jaunt over to the Cave of the Mounds, near Blue Mound State Park.






Crystal clear water


An underground river.
Wonder how far it runs?




This is a stalagmite that was broken off.
You can see the layers.
How many millions of years to get all those layers?


Naturally, I had to drag my friend out through one of the trails.



These are pretty. What are they?



At one of the little shops in Mount Horeb, I picked up some
local honey (yum) and this little jewelry holder, which has
been very useful to clean up my dresser table.


When we got home, I reorganized and got myself to the 
theatre for opening night of Footloose: The Musical.

First week of shows has gone well. Some rest, then we will
close the run this week.


July 4 was another day off, which I started with a humid walk through
the local park trails.


Sometimes all ya need is a quiet walk in the woods.





Local Sasquatch


Little racoon tracks in the mud




Some down time left, and some to-dos left on my list.
I've repotted a plant, mowed the yard, prepped the porch steps for replacement.
I still have other house projects to tackle, a book to read, and some old fashioned relaxation.

I've gotten some sleep, lots of exercise and some sun.
I guess I will go back to work tomorrow.

🎇🎆

No comments:

Post a Comment