Sunday, April 3, 2022

We're all just glorified hermit crabs


Adventures in moving house.
It's a kind of scene change...

So, I've been a bit distracted lately.
I'm buying a house.
I hate the entire process.

Shopping for a house when you're on a single-person's budget is limiting.
The homes that are in this price range are very often already occupied and 
you are offered a chance to buy it as an "investment property".
OR, if the house isn't already rented and simply changing hands, the
house is in questionable shape or the repair costs will wind up being
too limiting as a purchase option. Or the home isn't liveable at all
and you're really buying a house to either rehab or demolish and
rebuild on the lot you just bought. Or the location is awful.

The lender approval is invasive and they want to know everything about your
financial history.

The seller wants too much money for an old house and they don't want to 
do anything to repair it.

My real estate agent is very helpful. Can't complain about that.

Obviously, some of this whining is a bit over-exaggerated. It's just how the process works. 
But I don't have to like it. I just have to play the game.

The worst part so far is giving my move-out notice to my landlord.
So now, I am sitting here, stressing out that the sale will fall
through for some reason and I will end up homeless.

Rational Me realizes this is unlikely. Most house sales go as planned.
Irrational Me is totally freaking out.

The house I have chosen manages to check most of my boxes as
far as what I want in a house.

The kitchen is big and roomy.
Two bedrooms.
Location is on what appears to be a quiet residential street.
Any prospective repairs to the house aren't too overwhelming or
prohibitively expensive. It is ready to move in and, while I know there
are a few things to do to the house, or things to keep an eye on, it
isn't a stressful situation from the outset.

So I have begun the process of pulling up the roots in my apartment;
cleaning out old junk I no longer need or want, throwing out old
out-dated paperwork, selling or donating stuff I don't want anymore.
Scouting out mover services to help with a few larger items.
Making a list of the utilities to have switched over to my name.


Amidst all of this chaos, I'm trying to keep myself distracted and sane.
Haven't opened this yet, but found a bottle of absinthe to make some cocktails.
In New Orleans several years ago, I had an absinthe drink in a bar,
complete with the sugar cube and cold water drip contraption.
Now I can try a few of my owne!



I liked the 90s sitcom "Newsradio" when i watched it in high school.
Recently, I've rewatched the entire series and it's just as
funny as when I remembered it.


Been on a bit of a mission for a good Crow T. Robot shirt.
Found this vintage sweatshirt from the 90s on a Popular Auction Website™
and it's perfect. It's obviously old and a bit worn, but the graphic is clean and clear. 


Last weekend I participated in the Iowa Masters Swim Meet
at the Linn-Mar Aquatic Center.
I'm not an exceptionally fast swimmer, but I can get the job done.
Finished four events. Quad Cities Masters finished third in the meet.

Keep on splashin'!
🏡🦀🏡

 

No comments:

Post a Comment