Sunday, April 17, 2022

Box City

 


the end is nigh.
In this apartment, I mean.

Happy Easter.
Sitting here in my partially dismantled apartment, eating 
Cadbury eggs. Working out the best plan for the Big Move.

I've always considered myself more of a nomad than a house-person.
Honestly, I never really believed I could have a house.
And I always liked the idea of throwing everything into a truck
and moving at any whim.
But I managed to dig a little house out of the bargain bin and am 
preparing to transplant the whole operation into a place of my very own.
A lifetime of keeping my credit score and financial history near perfect
will at last pay off.

Boxes are everywhere. One set aside for items I plan to get rid of.
Always purging. So what will be moved has had to get past many gateways.
I clearly have no hoarding tendancies. I have no problem letting things go.

My stuff is mainly comprised of nicer things I've worked hard to finally own, and
old, sentimental things that have just been with me for ages. Like
stuffed toys I've had since I was a kid.

There is the practical stuff, of course. I need cooking things and pet care things
and toolbox things and clothes and shoes.
There is the small army of musical instruments, including an electric piano.

The book collection got another clearout. 
Moving books is a huge pain. But it must be done.
There are still a lot of them I want to keep.




The benefit of moving is that all of my stuff is being cleaned.
Washing the towels and scarves and aprons and the shower curtain.
All the stuff I don't dust or clean as often as I should, 
like shelving and step stools, are all being given a good scrub.

Some things have been sold or given away.
It's been wonderfully cathartic to toss out obsolete paperwork.
And a few old, well-worn things are being replaced.

Closing day is around the corner.
Paperwork is ready, inspections are done, plans for further repairs
are being worked out. Lender has issued approval for my loans.

Between all of this, the gig calendar is starting to fill up.
So some new performances and, with it, some extra money to cover the new house stuff.

All right, fellow hermit crabs, let's get moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment