Sunday, May 5, 2019

I Run

In a week, if all goes well, and there's no medical,
meteorological, or zoological emergencies or mishaps, 
I will have finished my third half marathon of the year.


For several years I've been tossing around the idea of
finishing a marathon. Like, the whole marathon, not half of it.
Can I really slog through 26 miles in a day?

Halfs don't seem so tough anymore, and considering I've finished at least
fifteen of them by now (someday I'll count the medals) they really
shouldn't be hard anymore. But there are some race days that are tougher
 than others. Some I've felt great after the finish line, and others have made me question why I 
keep running because my hips hurt and I'm so hungry and
I just want to take of the running shoes and never put them back on.  
Plus, most marathons have a time limit; can I finish one in about 6 hours? 
Do I even want to be out on a race course for 6 hours?

I'd like to finish a marathon once in my life. I am most definitely
getting old and so feel like I'm losing time. Along with other items 
on my "before I'm dead" list, I feel like I need to get cracking
before I am unable to do the things I want to do. Physical challenges
seem to be things that should be done sooner rather than later.

So, I suppose I'll decide relatively soon. Is this the year?
Next year? Will I keep putting it off until my hip gives out and I can
no longer make the choice? If next weekend goes well, and my
summer is conducive to proper training (and I don't lose interest or my nerve)
I will make the decision and register for a marathon.

Until then, the 3rd 13-miler is what I should focus on.
So, lace up the shoes and drink lots of water!

No comments:

Post a Comment