Monday, April 15, 2019

San Diego Part 3

Thursday and Friday of the trip was a bit more leisurely. I had checked off the things I wanted to do that were scheduled or dependent on other people. My legs were finally less sore from the race.




So, Thursday morning I hopped on a bus and rode out to Old Town (State Park). Way too early, it turns out, as nothing was open and I was really the only one there. I checked it out though and made a plan to come back when it was less of a ghost town. So, after buying a bus pass to cover the 3 remaining days of my time in San Diego, I checked the map and schedules and took another bus to Ocean Beach.



It was a bit chilly, with some mist (they called it rain, but to my Midwestern eyes, it was mist), but surfers were still out and catching the waves. I watched them for a while, dipping my toes in the cool water as it came up on the sand. Then to another bus stop for a ride to downtown, the harbor, The Embarcadero, as it's called.

And so, after a bit of a walk around, I decided to check out the huge aircraft carrier docked in the harbor. The USS Midway is a decommissioned aircraft carrier, now a museum. It's the largest ship I've been on yet, and one that used to fling airplanes off of it.



    
There is an opportunity to explore the below-decks, the living quarters, the offices, and up top, the air strip where the planes would have taken off from and landed on. I didn't expect to end up staying there all afternoon, but there was so much to look at and demonstrations to watch. I took a tour of the bridge, with its own aircraft tower.

View from the cockpit.
I went to the danger zooooone!

View from the bridge.


Hmmm, which way is North....

Waaaay below decks.

I seeee yooooou!

A 33 foot draft.

Splish, splash!

No comments:

Post a Comment