Monday, April 1, 2019

San Diego Part 1

Greetings from the Lower Left!
Since my long-sought whale trip was cancelled, I had to
resign myself to a week in Southern California.
Can't waste good plane tickets!

After much airport-ing and city bus-ing and walking, I
arrived at my hostel. It is a former bordello in the Gaslamp Quarter.
And it's adorable!


All bunked in.

So, I found the Enterprise office and picked up my rental car,
a white Toyota Corolla, that I hadn't properly named, as
per my usual habit, but it did the job. If I were to name it,
I'd call it the White Whale.

Driving here isn't so bad, if you don't plan on parking anywhere.
I managed to get myself on the I-5N and find Encinitas to get
my race stuff. Oh, yeah, I'd signed up to run the
Encinitas half marathon. Why not, right? It fit my schedule
 and gave me a bit of purpose.

Oh, inaugural!
Up early again Sunday morning for the drive into Encinitas and to
 run 13 miles at 730AM.
The course was great. It took us several miles along the coastline,
then through town. Saw surfers and lots of birds, and
enjoyed watching the waves crash into the beach.

Started at the beach! Totally gorgeous!
And our race weather was perfect. Sun, just a slight wind, 
and the sea breezes.



I. Love. These. Houses.
 That's a houseboat with style!

Second half marathon of 2019, finished!



After some post-race goodies, and a tasty local beer, the White Whale
and I drove our way back down the I-5 to La Jolla.
La Jolla is a lovely place. Obviously out of my price range.
The houses there are amazing!
But the beaches are free to visit, so after spending way too much time finding
a parking spot, I slathered on some more sunblock and went a-beachin.


Looks huge, but actually a few low rocks.

A fearless seagull.


Far too many pictures of harbor seals.

They are so fun to watch! 
Seals living their best seal lifes.


A short stop at the Coronado Brewing Co. for a sip and a bite,
then back to the hostel for an early bedtime. 

Me after the long two days.
ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...





No comments:

Post a Comment