Sunday, November 11, 2018

Please...Wake...Up

Who would you revive?

At work this week one of my office mates asked what four musical artists
should be brought back to life.

My choices are somewhat predictable.




LeRoi Moore

LeRoi was the founding saxophonist of the Dave Matthews Band.
He was amazing and a big part of the sound of the band. His funky timing was
impeccable and he was a huge inspiration for me as a saxophonist. I still try to learn
something from his recordings.

Moore died in 2008 from complications from an ATV accident.
He died a year before I finally got to see the band live for the first time.
Jeff Coffin has taken his place, and while Jeff is an absolutely incredible
saxophonist in his own right and he fits well with the band, he isn't LeRoi.


B. B. King

King was a blues musician who influenced countless musicians that heard him play.
His joy from music and the blues was infectious and I would want him
to come back just to let him return to doing what he was so happy to do.

King died in 2015, at age 89. I was in New Orleans for jazz camp that summer
and his name was offered up for remembrance at our camp parade through the
French Quarter. Much respect, Mr. King.



Prince

Prince wasn't supposed to die when he did. He was still working on new music.
I gained a renewed respect for his creativity and overall amazing-ness when I visited
Paisley Park earlier this year.  He was truly an incredible musician and performer.

Prince died in 2016 from an accidental drug overdose.



David Bowie

Every one of you knew he would be on my list.

While a death at age 69 isn't terribly tragic, knowing that the man
dearly loved his life and his family and still had lots of ideas
makes it sad. He was a part of so many people's lives; as an inspiration
or a creative influence or simply as a shining beacon of hope
for those of us who feel like the square peg.

Bowie died in 2016 from liver cancer.
I still remember the morning when I found out he was gone.

What artist would you want to bring back?

No comments:

Post a Comment