Sunday, November 26, 2017

Black Friday, Buddy, and the Bean

Hello Lawnchairs!

I finally got out of town again, after much too long in town. Because Chicago is basically in my backyard, I boarded the Amtrak and rode into town on Black Friday.





The intention wasn't to shop. I had some general ideas of stuff to do, but was open to whatever floated my way. It was more just an opportunity to take a mini-vacation.


I love you Amtrak.
The trip begins in Kewanee, IL, as is now my usual departure point.
 

Almost there!
 

The Willis (Sears) Tower is near Union Station, and is an easy landmark to search for, if you get lost.

 After a tasty Indian lunch at Mughal's, I walked to the Art Institute of Chicago. A world class museum filled with great artworks. And lots of visitors, as apparently, Black Friday is one of the busiest days at the Institute.
 

Still, I managed to get inside with a minimum of line-waiting. 

After getting my bearings (it's been many years since I'd been in the Institute) I went directly the Marc Chagall America Windows. So gorgeous! Vibrant blue and huge. There is another section not shown above, these are panels 3, 4, 5, and 6. Each panel represents something different. These panels are "Literature", "Freedom", "Theater", and "Dance". This was made in 1977.


Ganesh! Remover of obstacles.
 

Auguste Rodin


While waiting for the gallery talk to begin, I looked around at the pieces displayed around the Grand Staircase. Here is a window by Frank Lloyd Wright. It is the Avery Coonley Playhouse: Triptych Window, made in 1912.

 

 An Edgar Degas ballerina.


One of my favorite paintings.  Paris Street; Rainy Day, 1877 by Gustave Caillebotte.
I love the different perspectives, the lighting, the shapes of the buildings and the umbrellas, the calm but busy mood of people going about their lives. Our tour guide mentioned that it's an interesting study in the many ways of depicting an umbrella. Fascinating.


Hey! We visited that house earlier this year! 
(see also: Itty Bitty Road Trip)
 

Nighthawks, 1942, Edward Hopper
 

Nightlife, 1943, Archibald John Motley, Jr.


After the art viewing, (the gallery talks are worth the time, by the way) I wandered into Millennium Park to visit Cloud Gate. (AKA the Bean)



Into Daley Plaza, which was absurdly crowded, for the ChristKindlMarket. Enjoyed some hot mulled wine in this cute souvenir mug. Cheers!

 There is a bar/restaurant on State Street that serves Abita! After a bit of shopping I popped in for a veggie burger and some Purple Haze.


Finally got checked into the hostel then, met up with my friend Dion. We made our way over to Wabash Street for the blues show at Buddy Guy's Legends.


 Bobby Rush was the headliner, but Buddy Guy made an appearance too! Very cool to see two legendary blues cats on the same stage! The show was great!


Saturday, about 6AM, checked out of the hostel and walking back to the train station to catch the Carl Sandburg back to Kewanee. You can get some great lighting in the morning.



Morning lights over the Chicago River. This shot turned out better than I thought it would. You can see the sun light just beginning to brighten the sky.
 


On the train. Time to go home.
 

Back into Davenport in time for the sax quartet to play some Christmas music a the Festival of Trees. Good looking (and good sounding) group!

Keep on running, Antelopes.

No comments:

Post a Comment