Monday, September 4, 2017

Itty Bitty Road Trip

Sunday, 3 of September.

Labor Day weekend.

I didn't want to not do anything or not go anywhere, and the larger plans I was knocking around for this weekend just didn't pan out, so I took a look at the Iowa map for places in the area that I had yet to see.


 First stop: Columbus Junction. Swinging Bridge.



I read about this bridge through one of my favorite travel websites (atlasobscura.com and then later found it again on roadsideamerica.com).  Had to work it into the day's adventure.


There is a whole legend behind the bridge (take or leave it) but it is fun bridge to walk across. It is a cable-suspended foot-bridge that spans a ravine. It does, indeed, swing!



 Next stop, about an hour away, was Eldon, Iowa to see the house featured in the Grant Wood painting American Gothic. You know the painting. You've seen it and its gazillion parodies.


With Ma and Pa.


The house itself is closed due to its fragility, but we were allowed to walk around it.

Obligatory photo-op.
According to the interpretive signage, the painting represented a protective father and his daughter's reluctant submission. I am hardly one for willing submission, so my reluctance was easy to express. I am not so sure my Dad got the protective look down, but he was good enough to play along. 



Next, we drove about 30 minutes to Keosauqua to visit the Pearson house. This was a house that was a station for escaping slaves to hide in while running away to the north. It is one of five known Underground Railroad houses in the state of Iowa (there were probably many more, but records weren't kept because that would have been incriminating evidence for those risking their safety to assist escaping slaves). 


The trap door over the crawlspace where people were hidden.  This would have been covered by a rug. It's amazing to think about how this all worked, and what people were willing to endure to obtain their freedom. The abolitionists assisting them were honorable and brave to stand up for what was right. Would I have been courageous enough to do the same? I like to think I would have been, but it's difficult to say what I'd do when actually placed in such a situation.


Next door to the house was a schoolhouse that had been moved from its original location. Ellis School. Oldest in the county (Van Buren County)

Getchyo learnin' on. Little desks for the younger kids, bigger desks for the older kids.

Oh, I'm from I-o-way! I-O-WAAAY! THAT'S WHERE THE TALL CORN GROOOOOWS!

Moving along, we drove a short distance to Bentonsport, along the Des Moines River (like this picture in Keosauqua).

Another bridge! Wheee! 
Bentonsport bridge.

I remember my Momster bringing me to this bridge when I was younger. Amazingly, this bridge was used for cars up until about 1995, when it was finally decommissioned (a new bridge was built about a mile away) and is now open only to pedestrians.


Fun with the face things. What are these called? I don't know. 
Me and my niece.

Momster and Niece.

Dad, always a good sport, joining in the fun. Yaay!


A few fun glamour shots before leaving town. Lookin' good, Momster!

Glad my Dad could come along. 
It was a nice day exploring southeast Iowa. The little towns that make up the whole. Very close to where I grew up. A great day with my family.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment