Sunday, September 10, 2017

Camping

Once a year, I like to take myself camping. I like camping, mostly. Even though it isn't one of very favorite things to do, about three years ago I decided that I should know things about camping. Namely, how to build a fire, how to set up a tent, cook food over a fire, stuff like that. And I needed to know how to do it on my own.


So, let's go to Wisconsin!





Okay, made camp. The little pop-up tent is staked down, need to get some firewood.
(Incidentally, taking down the pop-up tent is the most difficult part of camping. It takes me at least 12 tries until I manage to fold it properly so that it will fit into its carrying bag.)
 

Before campfire time, I took a bit of a hike around some of the park. This is Lookout Point, which offers an amazing view of the Wisconsin River. 


Where does this path go?
 

The kindly volunteer fellow hiker I met along the way had some trouble getting a non-blurry shot, but this keyhole led through to a cave, high up on the side of the bluff. 
Wanna see?
 

I am just claustrophobic enough to have no interest in caving into small caves. I like large caves that I can walk in standing upright though! Maybe even crouching. But crawling around on my belly? I don't think I can do it. This one is very narrow and appeared to go straight through the cliff.
 


These were the stairs to visit the cave. Very ladder-like. Be careful!
 
 

Huge patches of this flower grew along the Bluff Trail. There were many busy bees buzzing around the flowers. The trail itself is passable, but requires some concentration because it is narrow and at times a bit dodgy.
 

Bluff Trail winds along the bluff. My campground is on top of the same bluff. So, I planned to hike this trail to meet up again with my campground. I essentially made a big loop.
 

Hiking selfie!
 



Looks cozy!
Camping pad, air mattress, sleeping bag. Should be reasonably comfy!
 

Now we're camping!
When in Wisconsin, it is absolutely essential that you stop for cheese curds (squeaky cheese) and beer. Potosi is one of the oldest WI breweries (and I passed through the town of the same name in which it made en route to the Park) and makes a decent brew. Also, don't miss New Glarus beers. The Spotted Cow and Two Women are my favorites!


Got my fire going (after the usual second attempt. I am not always successful with the first campfire try).  Roasted a veggie burger and enjoyed it on a pita bread with guacamole and Muenster cheese. Tasty!


To self-sufficiency! 
New flavor from New Glarus. Raspberry Tart. It. Is. So. Good!
Also, definitely invest in a camping axe. It and the air mattress have been some of the wisest camping-related purchases I've made. Axes are so useful when staking down your tent (use it as a hammer) and dealing with the firewood.  Handy weapon, too, I suppose, should the need arise.


Got a pretty good fire going!
 

Finished reading a book and watched the stars come out.
 

All tucked in. Good night!
 

Good morning!
What's it like out there today?
 

Had to get an early start. Several things left to do on this day. Heading home!
Back to Iowa!
 

As a bonus, here is a picture of what I was heading back so early for. Jazz Society had a picnic. I was the mascot! Do I look like the logo yet?! 

Now get out there and do stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment