Sunday, September 4, 2022

Southwest Roadtrip - Day 6

 

Last full day of vacay.
Phoenix in August.

I slept in, took a look at the map, then headed out into the
world in search of some real food and coffee.


See any ghosts?
The Hotel San Carlos is supposedly haunted.
It's in the midst of a renovation, so the pool was closed.
It's a great old building, decorated in Italian Rennaissance style.





A lot of entertainment stars have stayed at the Hotel San Carlos,
including one of my favorites, Woody Herman!


After a brunch of avocado toast, coffee and an espresso martini 
(I'm on vacay, leave me alone) I walked to the Japanese Friendship Garden.
A lovely little spot to stroll around and enjoy the peacefulness.



Koi in the pond





I got a bottle of cold matcha tea to sip and stay hydrated on my walk
to the Arizona Science Center.




There's a lot to see and do in the AZ Science Center.
Which is great, because at this point, I needed an indoor activity 
to escape the hottest part of the day.
You can watch clips of a variety of surgical procedures, 
including removing a brain tumor.


Heart surgery.
Hard to show up on camera, it is clearer in real life.


That's a giant stomach behind me.
As ya do.


Found a little piece of Davenport.
:-0


One section was very hands on.
You could put together a program and make a robot move, look at
different colours in the light spectrum, and play with Legos.
This was my contribution.


I watched a huge movie in the planetarium theatre.
It was a journey through the Solar System.

Another room let you bang away on strings to learn about
musical instrument physics (something I know a lot about already
but it's still fun to see things in a different way)
I played with an interactive display that gave information
about satellite telescopes. And an outdoor area lets you make huge soap bubbles.
In the Sun Garden, I looked at the Sun through eyeball-safe plate glass.
I played some mental exercise games on a computer in the neuroscience section.


Once I'd seen and played with all I wanted to see and play with, I walked back out
into the Arizona heat to find some food. Sushi sounded yummy, and there was a
highly rated place near my hotel, so I headed for that.


There are wonderful art pieces and murals all around the city.




A delicious meal of Japanese sushi rolls after several days
of more or less just snacking. Very yummy.
Check out that purple rice!
Harumi Sushi & Sake on West Adams.

I grabbed an iced coffee for the road at a nearby coffee shop and
walked back to the hotel for some relaxation. And to try to 
stuff all the gifts and goodies into my luggage for the trip home. 


Small but comfortable.

My Uber arrived on time the next morning and my flights were not
delayed this time, so I made it home in the afternoon. 

I love travelling, but it's always nice to come back to my home, with
my bird and turtle, and my own bed and pillows. And, besides, I'm
out of money and need to fill up the vacay fund again.

I'm already planning next year's trip.
It's gonna be big. I'm so excited!

🌵🌵🌵

No comments:

Post a Comment