Thursday, June 30, 2022

The Wheels are Falling Off


Oh my god, is June over yet?!
No, really, I'm okay. REally. 


It's been a long month, okay?
Have managed to get through two shows, seven independant gigs, 
the latest edition of the jazz newsletter, and have gotten the process started
to install 2 new windows.



Have also called the utility service to make sure it's okay to 
dig up the back yard to add a tree or bushes.
Apparently, it's good to go.



Rock Falls, IL


Playing for the Louie Bellson Music Festival.
We played a selection of Bellson charts and some that featured the bands he
performed with during his career.



Zuri has settled right in to the new house. I have no way of proving it,
but perhaps someone occasionally snuck in and bothered her during the day at the old
apartment. Or not. Maybe it was just a stressful place for her. Noise and sight-lines.
She seems very relaxed now. I like a happy bird. :^)



Currently reading Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison.
I read the H.G. Wells' The Invisible Man a few years ago.
This one isn't science fiction, but the themes are, perhaps, similar.
Ellison's Invisible Man is a Black man in 1950s America, and we
join him as he attempts to make his way through life, with his 
only impairment being the color of his skin.
It's interesting, and engaging, and the narrative pulls you in
almost immediately.
I do reccommend. 


Having got most of everything, more or less, where I want it all to be, I have
turned my attention to the windows. Not only replacing two of the worst ones,
but adding some treatments. 
A sheer curtain over the Roman shade in the closet.
It adds an extra level of privacy, without closing off the airflow.

I am in the process of adding heavier drapes to the windows in the dining room.
Darker to keep hot air out and heavier to help keep heat in over winter.
That's the plan, anyway.


Goat prop for current show (that closes this weekend)
This is the goat that the brothers tear apart in 
Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.
My second time playing this show, incidentally.


The production also includes this alpaca!
I don't know how this community theater found the gall to have a 
real live alpaca in their production, or why, but here it is!
It is kind of cute though. 




First playing job on the riverboat for the season.
And a beautiful night for it.


Got a closer look at the pedestrian walk on the new bridge.


I will need to make some time in July to take a walk across it.


July looks a little less frantic for me. No multi-week shows anyway.
Off to the Dave Matthews Band show at Alpine Valley this weekend,
and a birthday surprise next Friday.
Oh, yeah, I have a birthday coming up.
I honestly haven't had time to think about it.
I only just yesterday made reservations for my birthday treat to myself.
Some gigs already on the calendar, and some concerts.

But a bit more down time, which will be nice.
I have some projects I'd like to have time to work on.
And I need to make sure my vacation plans are squared away.


Look at this nerd. Snacks to nibble, a huge fan, 
bucket of water. This alpaca has a pretty sweet setup for a dressing
room while he waits for his part in the show.



Keep cool, stay hydrated, wear sunscreen.
See ya in July!
Imma take a nap...

No comments:

Post a Comment