Sunday, May 15, 2022

A Small Plot of Land

 


Hello from the other side.

I am now writing this from my new desk (a real desk! no more using the kitchen table!)
in my studio/office in my very own house.

It was a process, still in process, actually, but most of the hard work is done.
I have just a couple boxes of random items to relocate and the move is
complete.

The big stuff and all the little stuff and the bird and turtle have all successfully relocated.

Getting my mattress up the tiny, narrow stairs was hysterical.
I think the mattress got tired of all the yelling and got itself up the stairs
just to shut us up.
Mattresses are bendy, but they don't fold up like a taco.

Didn't even bother with the box spring, so I ordered a platform frame
for the mattress. I'd been considering getting one anyway, so this was
just a good excuse for me to make the jump.


This is a weird picture. Not sure why I didn't
take five seconds to tidy up the sheet. But you get the idea.
I took my time finding the perfect frame, then had to wait for it
to arrive, so I spent 2 weeks sleeping on the mattress on the floor.
Like camping but comfier.

I intentionally tried to not buy anything new for the move.
I wanted to see all my stuff just spread out over a house instead of
crammed into a tiny apartment. 

I ended up replacing the old worn out TV stand for a nicer one,
bought the aforementioned desk and a file cabinet for my music books,
bought the bed frame, and was gifted a side table. 
Everything else is more or less what I already had.


Old closet...So cramped and uncomfortable.
the vintage Banana Republic jackets all crushed against the wall.


New closet!
Walk in! Look at all the space!
This is a small room partitioned off from the main room in the upstairs space.
I made it my own walk in closet.
All my shoes and shirts and pants and sweaters have a place to live,
without being all squished up. Much less stressful.
For about 2 weeks, many of the clothes were living on the floor, 
before the second organizer arrived (another delayed order).


Bedroom before the mattress was pushed up the stairs.


Closet before the rest of the clothes moved in.
Needed a second clothes rack/organizer to complete the job.


As expected, the upstairs bedroom does get hot.
We had a week long heat wave, with August-like temps
in early May, so it was a good test run to work out how to cool the space.
I'd ordered this portable AC unit and it arrived just in time for the heat.
Not as efficient as a central air unit, but it works great for sleeping.
This particular unit has a remote control too!


I went around and changed all of the light switch plates.
Small detail, but a relatively cheap way to add some style.
The cheap, ugly plastic plates had to go.
I used this design for the three switches upstairs and chose
a pineapple design for all the switches downstairs.
I think they polish the space without breaking the budget.


Front door. Still not quite right, but the important things are there.
Cactus family is together again by the window.
Norfolk pine survived the move and seems to be okay.
The Creature from the Black Lagoon poster that has followed me through 
the last two apartments finally got a proper frame and a privileged
location on the wall.


A few small things have changed since I took this picture, but this is my new studio/office space.
Piano, the computers, the new desk and file cabinet, the record player, and
one of the bookshelves were brought in. Some of my favorite band posters
and prints. 


Somehow, I got lucky and the internet company was able to set up my
internet service on moving day.
The nerve center is plugged in and running smoothly.


After move in day, I still had a gig to play, so most of my first
week in the new house was spent away from it. 
Went from work to rehearsal, more or less, for the whole week.

The Threepenny Opera is a joy to play!
The reed parts are wonderfully scored and were super fun.
Definitely will be a highlight amongst my playing opportunities.



The extra business meant the kitchen had to be a mess for a while.
It's less of a mess now, but still has a ways to go before I'm
comfortable in it.
I love the high ceilings in this house.
Apparently I have a claustrophic streak, because the tall space
was a big draw for me. I like feeling like there is room to breathe and
I'm not being pressed to the ground.
I'm sure there's some wacky psychological reason for this, but no time for that now!


Momster returned for Mother's Day and we ran the Distance Classic 5K.
We did the shorter race because I sure haven't had time to train for the half marathon.



Wound up being a pretty good race.
I got a better time than I thought I would after not training much,
and Momster took 3rd place in her age group!
Woot!


Now that I'm the groundskeeper, and the tiny yard won't mow itself,
I needed something to clip the grass. It's a reel mower.

I like that it doesn't require gas or a shed to store it in.
It's light enough I should be able to store it in the basement over winter.
It works surprisingly well!
Kind of therapeutic watching the trimmings fly out of the blades.
Oddly satisfying.
Bonus source of weekly exercise as well.



The other side of the studio.
Still needs some attention.
You will notice the slightly awkward David Bowie photo 
(mentioned somewhere in a previous post) has found a new home.
Some artwork still needs to be put up, and I really 
need to do something about the guitar/banjo/ukulele/violin situation in the corner.


I can practice in peace now.
It's just wonderful.


Still working on the living room too, but it's getting closer.
You will see the side table a friend gave me. 
I wasn't sure about it when she gave it to me, but it works well next to the sofa.


Still hammering out the details, but most of my stuff has found a new home
in my new home. The little table and chairs, the concert posters,
the bookshelves (and all of the books), the toy Creatures, 
the Nic Cage pillow, and all the Mardi Gras beads.
Some stuff may move around until I'm satisfied, but that's okay.

There's no rush.

No comments:

Post a Comment