Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Bowie Top 5


It's time for the Bowie albums Top 5 Listicle!

This is difficult.
Only five? I love so many of them.
But, in the interest of brevity and conciseness, I limited myself to five.


Diamond Dogs
Perhaps my favorite album.
I love the rawness, his vocals, the song selections.
1984 and the Sweet Thing-Candidate-Sweet Thing Reprise
are masterpieces of lyrics and sound.
The cover art was always a bit unsettling to me,
but I've grown accustomed to it.



Station to Station
Station to Station is an example of what an artist can do
even while whacked out of his gourd.
The cover art is a still from The Man Who Fell to Earth.
Bowie used another still from that movie for the cover of the Low album.
Anyway, I love Station to Station for its impact and its economy.
Six tracks, each one a winner. It's not easy to make an album that can be
listened to all the way through without the desire to skip a track.
The title track is Bowie's fragmented interpretation of the Kabbalah.
Golden Years is one of my favorite songs.
Word on a Wing is a tragically beautiful cry for help.
TVC15 is a playful respite from the heaviness surrounding it.
Stay has a great groove.
Wild is the Wind is a jazz-infused ballad, his tribute to Nina Simone.



Young Americans
This album features Bowie's Blue Eyed Plastic Soul phase.
Which I absolutely love. One of my fave Bowie era.
His brain was still addled from the drugs, but his vision was clear.
Across the Universe is probably the weakest track, included due to 
fan-boy Bowie's adoration of John Lennon, but the rest is gold.


Lodger
Oh, the Berlin "Triptych".
It was a tough call. Low is incredible.
I can't fault "Heroes".
But Lodger is crazy, good fun.
I think this album is representative of his
improved state of mind after getting through the dark
drug days. His playfulness had seemed to return,
D.J., Boys Keep Swinging, Look Back in Anger, and Fantastic Voyage
are highlights.


The Next Day
Latter day Bowie, the "surprise" album of 2013.
He recycled the "Heroes" album art, came out of retirement
 and gave the world  a bunch of great new songs.
The title track, Valentine's Day, Where Are We Now?, and
I'd Rather Be High are a few of my favorites.

Heathen and Reality were close runners up.
And I absolutely adore the Earthling and 1. Outside albums,
probably because I'm a 90s kid and he just seemed more
of a happier, more "feeling himself" version of Bowie.

What's your favorite Bowie album?


No comments:

Post a Comment