Friday, October 11, 2019

Ghosts!


I attended a Ghost show!
The Swedish band Ghost came to the Quad Cities.
My friend decided to get sick the day of, so after failing to
find someone else to take her ticket, I went by myself.


The opener was a band out of Texas called Nothing More.
They were pretty good. While I'm not always interested in
attending metal shows, I can appreciate the creativity these
bands have. They have this odd guitar contraption that let them
spin it around and collectively play it. The songs were actually pretty
well developed and diverse. Nice.


Switching over the stage...

the sound booth...complete with jack o lantern!


So I had researched this group a bit before the show. They are classified as
doom metal, progressive metal, pop metal, death metal, etc. etc. etc...
Definitely on the heavier side, guitar dominated, sacrilege-themed.
But still with a thread of humour and self-awareness. 
It was nice of them to open with Rats, a song I had listened to.

The band features masked musicians, with a vampiric frontman.
The masked players generally played their roles as musicians,
allowing the vampire (Tobias Forge) to camp it up.
Several costume changes, some audience interaction. 

A few vignettes throughout: a tricycle bit with a playful sound effect,
a trio of plague doctors setting up the next song, a cardinal figure screaming out
a saxophone solo. Some good theatrics.



There was a guitar duel and full use was made of the stage, even the
platform in the back, just below the stained windows.


This kind of show isn't usually something I go for, but on the recommendation of a friend who
was also attending, the curiosity got the best of me. It wound up being a good night, 
despite the earlier frustration of my friend getting sick at the last minute.
It was a showcase of great musicianship, creative staging, and lots of fun.

If Ghost makes its way near you, it's worth a view.


Wear a t-shirt color other than black though, 
this is a gosh darned rawk show!
👻💀💋




No comments:

Post a Comment