Thursday, August 23, 2018

Samba Meets Jazz

 What I did at summer camp.



For my big trip this year I checked two more states off my
 "Visit All 50 States" list and went to jazz camp!


Boston to Bar Harbor, Maine.
In a tiny plane. Flying into Bar Harbor's teeny, tiny airport.
The smaller airplanes were the only places I had trouble
getting my saxophone into the cabin. 
They made me gate check it and it went into the cargo hold
with the rest of the luggage for the short flight (about an hour).
I wasn't happy about it, but it was handed back to me as
soon as I got off the plane.


Got into camp, held on the lovely College of the Atlantic campus.
This was a beautiful place to spend a week!
The meals were made from fresh, local or grown-in-the-greenhouse.
Bar Harbor is a 15 minute walk away, and the Island
Explorer buses make stops very close by.
The dorms were spartan, but nice.


Down to the pier!


So pretty! Ferries and tour boats dock here, and some campers chose
to jump in a take a swim from here.
I planned to, but just didn't make it into the cold water.
I did make some time to dip my feet in and to watch the tide come in.



Weary traveler takes in her new surroundings.
Class begins tomorrow!


Whale skull.



Ready for the samba and the jazz!


Saw some gorgeous sunsets.


I found these in the library...


...😐
Those had better be educational dead, stuffed birds.


Giant puffin hanging out in the village.


Classes every morning where we worked on jazz, harmony/improvisation, 
Afro-Cuban and Brazilian.


Romero. Amazing guitar player!


View from my practice spot by the shore.


Brazilian recital from two of our teachers, Romero and Dave Stryker.


I tried a lobster roll.
I was tasty. And expensive.


Local brew.

Image may contain: food

I also tried a lobster. When in Maine, ya know.
After a crash course if how to break into these things, 
I ate the claw meat and the tail meat. Pretty good!
Maineiacs!


Final concert. Everyone sounded great!

It was a good week to simply focus on some of my musical issues.
I had lots of opportunities to solo and listened some really good players.
Because of its closeness to Acadia National Park, I also used my 
very limited free time to explore some of the park.

And the next post is where I will show you what I did there!

No comments:

Post a Comment