Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Boston, Part 3

Well, hello there, friend!
Here is Part Three of the Boston daze.

Okay, so being the adventurous sort, and always interested in finding less-than-ridiculously-expensive places to stay while travelling, I found out that it is possible to spend the night (or two) aboard the Liberty Fleet of Tall Ships. Fantastic!


My hotel for two nights!
Being a working vessel, the only catch was that you had to be off the ship by 10am and
could only return to your cabin after 8pm. So, slightly inconvenient, but if you keep yourself busy 
all day, it's really not too unmanageable.


The ships (there are two, the larger of them providing the overnight cabins) dock in the Long Wharf.
Where, incidentally, is the same launch spot of the Boston Harbor Cruises, so everything I needed
was really all in one spot.



Adorable.


Okay, aboard the ship.
My cabin. I didn't have a roommate either night, so while it was cramped, it
wasn't nearly as cramped as it could have been. Quite cozy. I slept really well!


Drunk octopus, wants to fight.


The head is down the hall. About 4 steps away.


Which I'm sure you're curious about.
Here is the shower.


It is positioned over the toilet. My bathroom at home is only slightly larger than this
 arrangement so I can't say that I felt too out of place.


When you're ready to go above decks you are greeted by this view.



A short walk from the Long Wharf is the Paul Revere House.


And Mike's Pastry, which had been recommended for its cannolis.



They are good, but I can't say I'm a huge fan. Still, happy to eat 
some well made pastries.


This seagull was a little too interested in my cannoli.
Not today, bird. Not today.

This was the day I went on the whale-watching cruise, so check out the post about 
WHALES! to see that bit of the trip.


Liberty Fleet in action!


A visit to the excellent New England Aquarium filled up much of the rest of the day.
The penguins were cute.


Cuttlefish. These are amazing creatures. Seriously, do some research on them.
Utterly fascinating what they can do.


Awww, a sea turtle!


Hey! That's not a fish!


Hm. I ate one your cousins earlier this week. Sorry, fella.


Have you ever wondered what the underside of one these looks like?


AAAAARGHGHGHGHH!


Some local-ish brew to celebrate a good day on the water.


The airport was literally across the bay. I could see it. So, rather
than schlep my stuff to the bus station the morning I was to leave, I hailed a water taxi
that took me directly to the airport. I didn't even have to leave the harbor!

It was a great few days learning some history, thinking about history, wandering
a great old town and spending much of my time near the water. It was a good
way to end my vacation.

And that's all for Boston!


No comments:

Post a Comment