Sunday, October 4, 2026

Re-entry

 


Home after an amazing trip abroad and dropped into the fire.
It's been a busy month.
Added a little blue footed booby to my collection of mementos on my work desk.
Again, I will go into more detail about my Galapagos experience, but a lot
has happened since I got home.


Made sure to get the little flag to add to my collection.


Picked up this mask at a gift shop in Quito.
It's the head of Aya Huma 
This entity is a spirit of duality and connection.
It is a tradition of the Kichwa people, and the mask and costume is
used in their rituals.


I first met this spirit at the Equator museum in Quito.
The mask has two faces, one front and one back, and the 12 horns on the 
top represent the 12 months of the year.


As soon as I got home, I was tasked with working on the
latest issue of the Catfish Jazz Society newsletter.
I had very little time to get the issue pulled together to
get ready for print, so that took up a lot of my time
outside of work. So, I've only just now started to
process the trip.


After a few days of newsletter work, I headed out of town
once again for a couple days in Chicago.
Took the Amtrak into town, dropped off my bag at the hostel,
and then started the day at the money museum.
I was there on a Friday, so I was actually able to go to this
museum, which is closed on weekends (when I am usually in Chicago).


Big ol cube of money.




A bit aimless for most of the day, until I could check into my hostel bunk and
get ready to go to Riot Fest in Douglass Park, which was the reason for my visit.
Ended up spending most of my time along the Chicago River.
Checked out the pump house museum, and learned a bit more about how the
River was reversed and the engineering involved.


Got a ticket for an architectural boat tour, which is not a new
thing for me, but I hadn't been on this boat before.
I boarded the First Lady Cruise boat, which has apparently been on the River
for a while, but I don't recall ever hearing about it until this year.
Kind of like how I only recently learned about the Pedway system,
and now suddenly I see it everywhere. Weird.
Anyway, this is a great tour. It cruised a bit further on each side of the split of the
River than I'd seen before, and the guide was very knowledgeable.



I'm not driving today. Slurp.



After getting into the hostel and a short rest, I got myself
on the Pink Line to Douglass Park and into Riot Fest.


I was there on Friday only, mainly to see Iggy Pop.
After keeping an eye on his tour schedule for the past few
years, I realized that making the trip to Riot Fest would be
the only chance I would get to see him live.
He's getting older, may choose to stop performing soon, and
he doesn't tour a lot to begin with. So, I had to take the shot.

Because it's a festival, there were a lot of acts over three days.
I got into the park around 6pm, in time to walk around a bit,
get an overpriced 312 beer, and catch a few acts before Iggy's show.

I saw most of the Sex Pistol's set.


This person on the platform insisted on standing for most of the set.
I think she was an assistant to someone on the platform, but I
don't get why she felt she had to stand the entire time and block the view.


Anyway, I'm not a huge Sex Pistols fan, but I like a good punk band,
and had a good time at their set.
They sound pretty good, after all of these years, and still entertaining.


Then a walk over to the Rebel stage to catch part of the Pixies set.


I only caught about three songs before I had to go
back over to the Rebel stage to get a good spot in the
crowd for Iggy Pop's set.


He came out on stage with a vest on, that was immediately removed.
I'd expect nothing less.


It's remarkable to see him perform so strongly at his nearly 80 years old.
He doesn't jump around as much as he used to, but still fairly energetic.
And his voice is still clear and strong.


His band was really good.
Some great guitarists, and a small horn section, with a trumpet, trombone and a saxophone.
The horn hits added a nice punch to his tunes.
He did a good mix of his hits, and dug back to some Stooges tunes.
Had the mosh pit going for I Wanna Be Your Dog and Search and Destroy.

And got everyone in the crowd singing along with The Passenger and Lust for Life.


Closed the night with Funtime, and he hobbled off the stage.
Amazing to see a living legend do what he does best.

Thank you, Jimmy, for visiting Chicago!


The next morning, after sleeping in a bit, I had the day free to roam around.
I had booked the late train back to Kewanee, so I took the time to relax and
see some places I hadn't discovered yet.

After a delicious bagel sammich from a place called Tilly Bagel Shop,
I got a subway ticket and took the Red Line to visit the Driehaus Museum, 
formerly known as the Nickerson Mansion.
It was built in 1883 and the interior is preserved to match the era.






I do love a good ceiling.


The entryway is gorgeous.
I spent nearly an hour admiring the walls and columns and
craftsmanship of the staircases and rooms.


Was asked to keep my backpack in front of me while walking around.
So I looked a bit lumpy.


Even the bathroom was historically accurate.




Managed to get a picture with no one else in frame.
Lovely.

If you have an interest in period architecture and decorative design,
it's a good stop. Or if you just appreciate the beauty of old homes.


I made full use of my CTA day pass.
Using the subway to take some steps off of my tired feet,
but also the bus for a visit to Navy Pier.



Saturday was rainier than Friday, but I was prepared with umbrella and
rain jacket. Because I was technically on vacation, I enjoyed some
ice cream on the pier, had a nice conversation with a Texan who
was in town on business, then took the water taxi
back to the museum campus, giving me a shorter walk to the hostel to get my bag,
and prepare to get on the train to go home.


Navy Pier boozy slushy. Yum.



Deep dish pizza chips?
Not too bad.


salad from the Farmers Fridge.
They are found in cold smart fridges you can find in Union Station,
and other places around Chicago, that vend out fresh foods.
I love the chia seed puddings.
And the salads are tasty too.
This is a green goddess salad, i think,
with quinoa, chickpeas, feta and veggies.


Newsletter completed and sent off to the printer.
Check!


Also, I dug this mug out of the cupboard to use for coffee one morning,
I got this as a piece of race swag when I ran the Encinitas half marathon
in California in 2018 (or 2019?) and realized I hadn't colored in any 
of the states I've run in.
I had to find an oil-based marker, then filled in the states I've 
participated in races in.
I will soon be able to color in New Mexico!


Speaking of races, Momster and Marsha came up to the QCA for the
QC Marathon, and we did some thrift shopping.
I found a great gently used Columbia two-in-one jacket and this Fossil bag.
It was priced at about $50, but had ended up in the clearance section,
for stuff that was reaching the "move by" date, so I snagged it for $11!
I like Fossil bags, and this one is still in great shape.
Heavy duty hardware, zippers still work smoothly, and no marks or stains.

Nice piece for my bag collection to work into the yearly rotation.


This jack o lantern has seen it all.
And he's had enough.


Out on the course the next day for the 10K race of the QC Marathon.
The 10K route is the last 6 miles of the marathon route.
Getting myself into training mode for an upcoming race, the
aforementioned New Mexico half marathon.


Found the finish line, only a bit slower than I'd hoped to be.


When I got home after the race, I mowed the yard, and found this
mantis in the grass. I managed to not squish it.
I found another one the next day.
I like that cool insects like my yard.


Then, after everything else crammed into the month of September, 
it was time for my "you are 45 and now due for a colonoscopy" experience.
I completed the prep, which was not a fun time, (but also not as
traumatic as people make it out to be), and the next day, Momster
accompanied me to the clinic for the procedure.

I've had broken bones and X-rays and mammograms, but have
never experienced anesthesia before, having never needed
a surgery for anything.
Got hooked up to my first IV, was wheeled into the procedure room,
hooked up to blood pressure and heart monitors, and then I watched
the anesthetist push the Propofol into the IV.
I heard a rushing sound in my ears, and though I think I 
was trying to stay alert enough to pay attention to what was
going on, I succumbed to the drug and woke up in the recovery room.

I am, sadly, merely human after all, and cannot fend off a knockout drug.
I don't know if that makes me sad or not.

But the colonoscopy procedure went well, no polyps or gremlins 
were found lurking around in my colon, and I was given the green light
to resume my life.


Eat yer veggies, kids.
Keep yer colon clean.


Picked up this book at the thrift too.
I remember when this book came out, and was
mildly interested then, so thought it would make some
gently reading for a bit, while I work through other stuff over the
next couple months.


Pumpkin all the things!



Didn't shop too much while in Chicago.
But did pick up some Clinique goodies.


The fridge needed a restock.
Farmers market ends this month.
Needed veggies to cook for lunch and got some pears snack on.


Spookified the house. Ready for Halloween!


And, finally, the opening night at the QC Symphony,
to hear the performance of Symphonie Fantastique,
by Hector Berlioz.
One of my favorite pieces!

🎃🎃🎃

No comments:

Post a Comment