Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Canada's Glacial Lakes, eh.

 


After packing up and picking up the hotel lodger, we
headed East, towards the Rockies.

The route took us through Revelstoke, a town with an awesome
name. Gateway to the Rockies mountain range. 




Wow.
I never really understood why people got all moony over the mountains.
I get it now.
Look at that!


There was a short stop for a short walk along the Skunk Cabbage boardwalk.
Along with this brilliant view of the river.
And one of my first encounters with glacial waters.
Glacial water features were a major theme for the week and I
learned a lot about them.



The aforementioned skunk cabbage.
I think.






All signs were in English and French.



Back into the van for the drive to Emerald Lake, 
part of Yoho National Park.



There is a roughly three mile path around Emerald Lake.
Naturally, I made it my mission to walk this circumference.
Emerald Lake is a glacial lake.
This means that it is fed by water from glaciers.
As glaciers scrape across rocks, small particles are freed and washed into 
the water streams. The particles make up something known as "rock flour"
that is largely suspended in the water, dispersing light and making the glacial
lake a turquoise or greenish colour.


FrontSeat Shark joined me for the walk.





Found a big rock.
Managed to climb onto it and see the lake from the rock's point of view.





Some rough looking boardwalks along the way.
Still useful though.


What a view!



You can see the streams that feed into the lake.



Moose dollars.
I mean Canadian dollars.


Some Canadian candy I brought home.
I forgot the chocolate bars in the van and they
melted, but still are pretty tasty.
A reformed Kit Kat.
The Maynards gummies, similar to what I found while in Africa.
And a maple syrup lollipop.
Can't visit the Maple Leaf country without getting something
maple syrupy.




The only moose I found the whole week.
In the ski town of Banff.


It was a friendly moose though!





No comments:

Post a Comment