Sunday, August 20, 2023

Hobos. Corn. Kayaks.

 


I've been busy!

Front Seat Shark has been on the road again!

And I've been scrambling to get everything organized before my trip abroad.


First stop, Britt, Iowa for the annual Hobo Days Festival


Cooking up some mulligan stew.


Had to wait to sample the stew though, the parade was about to start.


the local high school band


Here come the hobos!








Can't have a parade in Northern Iowa without a polka band.



No one told us to bring our own soup pots. haha



Mulligan stew. Hot and fresh.


Fortunately, there were single serve options for us noobs.
It was okay. A bit bland for my tastes, but if you're a hungry hobo
it would certainly hit the spot.


Time to visit the museum.



Know your transient!





Front Seat Shark got to examine the hobo signs.


And have a seat at the hobo jungle camp.



The vendor row.
I picked up a bottle of local wine.
We got some ice cream and some food, then returned to the park
for the crowning of the hobo king and queen.



North Star and Angel were crowned queen and king of the hobos
for the 2023 year.


All the stew was gone by that time.
Packing up the barrels for next year.


So why were we in Britt, Iowa?

Earlier this year, as I've previously mentioned, I listened to a
fascinating podcast called City of the Rails. It's all about modern
day hobos, travelers, and train hoppers. Check it out. It's great.
Then I found out that there was a yearly festival in Iowa for hobos.
Road trip! 

The next day, the gears shifted, a couple of friends joined me, and I drove the other direction,
to my hometown of West Point, Iowa for the Sweet Corn Festival.




yummm


fun house mirror.

We took a spin on a ride, walked through the fun house, and played a couple games.
And ate all the sweet corn we wanted to.




Photo op in Britt. Shark's Bar!


Speaking of Front Seat Shark, my only luxury item I'm taking with me
for camping in Africa. I found this safari vest! It's' part of an outfit
meant for a bear. Works great for Shark.
The outfit includes the vest, a hat, the little binoculars and a pair of shorts,
which, naturally won't work for a shark. 


But they fit this medium sized Creature! 😂

Wonderfully silly.


In the midst of all this silliness, I finally reorganized the closet.
The old dresser was falling apart.


A couple new pieces, and some moving things around and now the closet space
is much more sane. Plenty of room for underwear and socks and all the 
David Bowie T-shirts.


Yesterday, I survived my second Floatzilla!
Momster joined me with her very first time in a kayak.
We rented a tandem, so neither of us would have to work alone,
and we paddled our way down the Mississippi River.


She did really well for a first-timer!


Yaay! I'm on a boat!



We had to go through the lock, which was an interest experience.


Under a couple of bridges.


And finally arrived at the lake.
We didn't tip over or anything!
And the weather was perfect for a day on the River.



Finally, I am almost ready for my trip.


Do I have everything?
Travel meds, liquids bag, passport and documents, money, headlamp, watch,
Shark, plug adapters, cameras, memory cards, a power bank, and binoculars. 
I'm sure I've forgotten something. But I'm certain they have toothpaste in Africa.


The duffel bag is packed, my backpack is ready, the
camera batteries are charging.

But am I ready?

See you on the other side!




No comments:

Post a Comment